Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Err on the side of magnificence

...I just had a very ego-boosting conversation with my friend and wise counselor, Ryan.

Essentially, he said I'm a little too self-deprecating and I should be bolder, given that I could potentially impact/influence more people for the better. He told me to "Err on the side of magnificence" since that is what I'm capable of :)

As you're reading this, please understand that I'm in no way trying to draw attention to myself, but rather Ryan's comments are pushing me to contemplate the concept of humility vs. passivity. I can say that I'm a quietly confident person, for the most part. I don't like loads of attention, but am I going so far in the other direction that I'm becoming ineffective? Are there times that I should step out and step up more?

Hmmm...

1 comment:

  1. Ryan is a smart man. I think he makes a good point - we love you either way, but don't let being humble lead you to point where it's a detriment and not a benefit.

    ReplyDelete