Thursday, April 13, 2006

Smile?

I have lots to smile about. But, that doesn't mean I'm always smiling.....especially when I'm out and about, walking to work, etc. This morning, on my way to work, I was wearing my normal, pensive expression when I walked by a delivery guy. Just as I walked by him, he says to me: "Smile!" It really caught me off guard because I had been day-dreaming about something and his comment snapped me back to reality.

My first instinct was a defensive one and I thought to myself: "What do you mean, 'Smile!' Are you implying that I'm not attractive if I'm not smiling.....or that I should smile at YOU.....pay YOU heed? I don't know you.....I don't owe you a smile....how dare you interrupt my thoughts...." I'm sure my internal rant went on much longer than that, but suffice it to say it was ugly.

It surprised me how quickly the anger welled up in me, in reaction to what that guy said.....and what he said was so simple and it was actually nice! It is a nice thing to encourage others to smile. So, what in me caused me to react how I did? How can I still be like that given how much I have to be thankful for and how much I have to smile, even dance, about?

Sometimes, I really suck.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:06 a.m.

    You don't suck, Roshan. You're a blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when strangers on the street tell me to smile. I think it's rude. What if my mother had just died? Or I just got laid off? Telling me to smile is just going to make me feel even worse.

    If you want me to smile, try smiling at me. Silently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosh,

    Yeah, sometimes we get caught off guard by random people penetrating our invisible walls, no matter what they say. Personally, I get unreasonably skeptical of strangers' intentions when they talk to me.

    You're allowed to be pensive and to wear the respective facial expression. But it's always great to see your smile too! Your smile is contagious!

    Peace,

    T

    PS you don't suck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Anonymous :)

    Rach - somehow, I knew you'd have something to say about this :)

    TF - it's easy for me to smile when you're so funny :)

    ReplyDelete